Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 274 - Sevenoaks

Today I woke up at 7am, feeling bright and sparkly and ready for my day. I was excited to have Marmite on toast for brekkie which I know is silly, as you can buy Marmite in Oz for a ridiculously inflated price, but to me, there’s nothing like eating Marmite on toast on a crisp English morning. It is one of my earliest memories.

Aweeee!!

Soon after we were off to Sevenoaks to see my beautiful Grannie in her absolutely divine and very Victorian apartment. She looked well, very thin though and welcomed us with open arms and said over and over how happy she was to see us. Oh how I have missed her. Sadly she is starting to get dementia which was quite evident from the start, which was hard for Emi as it has been 2 years since she saw her (it has been 8 years for me).

The fabulous hallway (view from the front door)

Her gorgeous "magazine worthy" living room.

I love my Grannie's apartment (although it honestly is bigger than a lot of homes!!)...it is absolutely STUNNING. Like something out of a magazine. These photos might not capture it, but I truly love it, it has stayed the same for the 27 years I have known it, which I love. Everything has it's perfect spot. My Grandparents have always only bought the highest quality of stuff which is why everything is still going strong. :)

Her kitchen...will get a better photo to replace this one when I go back down.

Her lovely dining room.

The spare room where we are staying.

Our bathroom...there isn't a shower...what a shame. :)

My Grannie has always been so ridiculously well groomed and being in her 93rd year hasn’t stopped her either. This morning before we arrived she had her hairdresser come and do her hair. I love how fabulous she is, her make-up table, her beautiful classic items around her home, her sense of style, her amazing love for brass, silver and precious stones and her amazing old school Victorian ways in regards to politeness and etiquette. She is something truly very special and I love her more than I could ever show or tell her.

My Grannie's sweet little bedroom.

I love my Grannie's make-up table and all her silver and crystal items,
has always been my favourite thing to look at when I visit. :)

It is a touch sad when I walk around the apartment as I expect to see my Grandpa as well, but he sadly he passed away 2 years ago…he would have been 100 this year. He was such a gentleman and so unbelievably sweet. He always wore a tie at the dinner table and ensured the ladies were seated first before he sat down, he had mannerisms and old school charm that simply do not exist in the majority of men these days. Grannie however has peppered her apartment with lovely photos of him all throughout…bless.

The amazing garden that surrounds Grannie's Apartment building...stunning!!

Remember to always stop and smell the daisies...

No comments:

Post a Comment